Legal description terms

I am trying to understand terms used to describe a land tract from 1955. For example; …on the south boundary line of the Bob Lawrence tract, from which a S G 14 in brs N 1 E 6 varas and a S G 10 in S 52 1/2 E 2.8 varas. Could someone translate this description? It is part of the legal description found on my Warranty Deed. I do understand that 1 VARA = 33.33 inches. Also, brs definition I found does not make sense. Building Regularisation Scheme is defined as policy announcements by the state government to legally approve buildings. My hunch is that it is a bar stake in the ground.

A Texas vara is 33.33 inches. These are abbreviations which are part of the metes and bounds descriptions of an irregular tract. The context may be more spelled out in earlier deeds or go back to a survey. It should first describe the the starting point - such as South corner of Section 15 or Beginning at a point on the south boundary line of Bob’s tract at an iron pipe or other object which is a specified direction and number of varas or feet. The remainder should be THENCE phrases telling you the direction and distance to proceed before making a turn. I am not sure what the SG perhaps something 14 inches in size. The rest is description “bears North 1 degree East (this is a direction) 6 varas (distance).” Here is a link to a metes and bounds description fully written out and associated plat. https://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-info/trf/rail-safety/cma/metes-bounds.pdf

2 Likes

I wonder if brs = brass?

Translation: . . . from which a 14 inch diameter Sweet Gum tree bears North 1 degree East 6 varas and a 10 inch diameter Sweet Gum tree bears South 52 1/2 degrees East 2.8 varas.

1 Like

The trees mentioned are “witness trees” to the actual corner. Witness trees are often called “bearing trees” in Texas. The actual corner may have been a stone, a stake, or perhaps not monumented at all. Depending on what materials were available and the thoroughness of the surveyor.

1 Like

Wow. Nice. I was hoping SG was Solid Gold.

Sweet Gum tree? That’s a good guess.

For the sake of brevity, I did not spell out the whole legal verbiage. What I spelled out continued throughout the description.

…wish it were so. It would be helpful.

BRS = Bearing… S G = sweet gum tree

S G 10 = sweet gum 10 inches in circumference. (probably not diameter)

S B line = south boundary line… P O = post oak tree.
I believe these terms are correct.

All of these terms are helpful in drawing a picture of the land on paper. I am still working on finding the physical address of my property. I cannot ascertain where the “BEGINNING” point is on the A J Chireno map in Nacogdoches County, Texas. Too bad they did not use latitude and longitude back in 1923. Any ideas ?