Calculate acres based on legal description

How do I calculate acres from the following description:

W/2 of Lot 2 a/k/a W/2 NW/4 NE/4 and the SW/4 NE/4 of Section 4, Township 6 North, Range 4 West

I saw some older posts asking this sort of thing, but don’t understand.

Thanks for any help!

A section is 640 acres. If you take 1/4 of the section that is 160 acres. If you take 1/4 of 1/4, that is 40 acres. If you take 1/2 (W/2) of the NW/4 of the NE/4 the result is 20 acres. In your case the total is 6o acres for the two included parcels.

1 Like

Min4me is correct. Technically, since this is a correction section with a lot, the lot will be more or less than 40 acres. In this section, Lot 2 is 39.79 acres. the answer is 59.875. I don’t say this to quibble.

3 Likes

Thank you and min4me for explaining this and I appreciate the precision tim_dowd.

Keep in mind that these a gross acres.

1 Like

Gross and net how do you figure acres. Our paperwork for a lease shows 360 acres the oil company says it’ wants to lease 25 net acres. The township is 158 N range 101 west section 7 N1/2 NW1/4 and section 8 NW 1/4 S 1/2 and NE1/4 how do they get 25 net acres

To calculate acres from your description, start by noting that a full section is 640 acres. Think of it like an hour calculator—breaking down the time into parts. For W/2 NW/4 NE/4, you take 640 acres and multiply by 1/2, then 1/4, and again 1/4, which equals 20 acres.

For SW/4 NE/4, multiply 640 acres by 1/4 and then by 1/4, resulting in 40 acres. Adding both areas together gives a total of 60 acres. Just like calculating hours, breaking down the sections into fractions helps you get the total acreage.

The lease typically shows the gross acreage. Somewhere along the line of title there has been fractionation of the gross. For example, if grandpa had 160 acres, but he split between four children equally, then each received 40 acres, etc. Ask the agent how he got to 25 acres based upon your title.