Help: Inherited Mineral Rights

Hi all, struggling to figure out what’s going on here and hope someone can help. My dad received a letter from Patch Energy LLC regarding mineral rights that he inherited at some point from his grandfather. The rights are for “Section 30, Block 27, Public School Lands, Winkler County, Texas,” and the sale price that Patch is offering is $2,500. I see on this forum that this is an active area. There is no further information as to the acreage or percent of ownership, as I see people referencing here in other threads. The letter says that the interest is in receivership and will require a court order to terminate the receivership.

My dad dismissed it as a scam. So did my aunt, his sister, who received a similar letter. After some Googling, it seems like it could be legitimate but I have no idea where to start. How do I find out what his interest is? Could there have been royalties he could have been receiving all this time? I really appreciate any info that could point me in the right direction.

I have mineral interests in sec 13 block a56 which through the assistance of a TX attorney Eric Camp ended up with my leasing (rather than selling) my interests. We negotiated a lease with $1000/MA bonus with 1/4 royalty. I contacted Camp through the info available on this forum.

1 Like

Thanks @Archie_Smith . That’s good information for us all.

Here’s a link to the Winkler County offical public records. There is no cost to search and print documents. If don’t know how your great grandfather obtained that mineral interest try search his name in the grantee index of the deed records.

(Self-Service)

1 Like

In case you haven’t seen it, below is a link to an earlier discussion involving purchase offers from Patch Energy in the same section you mentioned. Some of those earlier posts suggest what you will need to do in order to figure out the mineral interest your family owns and learn the amount of royalties being held in suspense. I definitely wouldn’t dismiss this, or agree to sell it, without knowing what I owned.

The Railroad Commission’s map indicates the Felix well that’s discussed in that earlier post is now operated by WPX Energy. WPX has eight two section long horizontal wells crossing that section. The interest you have in those wells or in future wells drilled there will depend on the location of your great grandfather’s interest in that section, or it’s possible he owned a partial undivided interest in the whole section.

https://www.mineralrightsforum.com/t/mineral-rights-in-receivership/65835

2 Likes

Devon has four horizontal wells in 19/30. Patch wants those royalties. There are is also the potential for a few more horizontals to infill. Contact Devon to see if they are holding funds for those wells for your dad. He may just have to pay the property taxes to get them restored. Contact the Winkler tax appraisal district and see if you can get more information out of them. The wells are call Half Moon 3019 1H, 2H, 3H, rH.

Thank you so much! I had let this drop because I couldn’t make much progress. This new information gives me hope.

Thank you, you’re referring to Devon Energy? Looks like they’re saying he owns a .25 NRA, so it doesn’t seem like a huge amount. I appreciate the guidance. I have no familiarity at all with mineral rights, so this is all new to me.

mmhusky, maybe you and thesunshinestate need to compare notes and figure out if you are related.

The last post on that earlier chain you started regarding Blk 27, Sec. 30 referred to heirs to the Riley and Munroe families. If anyone needs to do some genealogy to check on ancestors here’s a great free website

familysearch.org

Like @M_Barnes mentioned above, WPX who operated the wells crossing that section merged with Devon Energy.

1 Like