Mineral rights and taxes

Hello fellow mineral owners,

I have a fair amount of mineral rights in other states but recently came into possession of some producing wells in La Salle county TX. These wells are in production and have been for some time. About a week ago I was sent a tax bill apparently from the Cotulla ISD Tax Office. In other states I own mineral rights the land owner pays the property tax, not mineral owner. Additionally this bill only has 3 of the producing wells.

So my main questions is - is this a legitimist bill or a scam? Also, are mineral owners responsible for portions of property tax in TX? I’ve never received a tax bill on minerals I own in other counties in TX that have production.

Thanks for all of you help

In Texas, the mineral owner pays taxes on producing minerals. Go to the Cotulla County CAD office website and search under both your name and your predecessor’s name for wells and also check your mailing address. You want to make sure that back taxes are paid for your interest to make sure that the minerals are not sold for back taxes. Generally tax valuations are done on the RRC lease number. So if there are multiple wells under one RRC lease number (such as a unit), then you will usually only get one tax bill for all those wells.

Thank you for your help!

Does it make sense that I would now receive another tax statement/ bill from LaSalle county Tax Office for the same producing wells but for a different amount?

You need to look at the unit acreage, as it may span two counties, in which case the value will be taxed proportionately to the acreage in each county (eg 30% vs 70%). Also, look at the taxing authorities. Wells are taxed by county, ISD (independent school district), hospital district, at different rates. Is it possible that one is for county tax and the other is for ISD as school districts can overlap county lines. If you post the unit/well name and RRC Lease ID#, then someone can help you look this up.

Yes, one is county and one is ISD. This is a first for me and I really appreciate all the help.

Regards