Mineral rights letter

Hello, I currently do not reside in OK. I received a letter regarding my potential royalties in a section in Stephens county, OK. When I called to inquire about how my info was obtained I was told by the landman that my name was listed as a responded to something that was filed. It is possible my father who has passed on may have owned land on the section listed. How can I find access to the deed? How can I find out if this is not a scam? The landman was supposed to call me back and didn’t.

You can look up your dad’s name for free on www.okcountyrecords.com. I used the advanced search. Looking is free. Downloading is a small fee. Look for a lease or a deed or a probate.

You/anyone can go on okcountyrecords.com and search for your father’s (or grandparent’s) name. To look at the exact instrument, you would need a one-month subscription, I believe. The good news is that Stephens county goes back to statehood.

If searching just in Stephens County, the following would be more specific. Stephens County | OKCountyRecords.com | County Clerk Public Land Records for Oklahoma

It is also a good idea to search unclaimed property for ancestors, other relatives or yourself.

Oklahoma Unclaimed Property Search

Oklahoma Mineral Interest Escrow Account Search

Nationwide Unclaimed Property Links

Be cautious of scams, there are too many to keep track of these days.

This post is not legal, tax or investment advice. Reading or responding to this post does not create an attorney/client relationship.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.