Mystery Operator In Dawson County

Greetings all,

In keeping up with developments in Dawson county, I’ve been noticing a large amount of sections being leased up by a Stevens & Tull Development on the Courthouse Direct website. Searching through the RRC website in the Operation Query only has a listing that is inactive and checking the Production Data Query finds the most recent results from back in 1998. However despite this they are leasing out a lot of sections, which brings me to my question. Is this company acting as landsman services and leasing out on behalf of another entity who is trying to keep their movements secretive (ala EOG/CGS) or are they flipping leases?

I only ask because they are getting quite a bit of sections near to my land and am hoping “whomever” it is competent enough to show the potential there.

Thanks in advance!

I do not have any ‘insider’ information, but here is their website, which indicates that they will be operating: stevensandtull.com/ They could be flipping/fronting or some farm-out combo. No way to really know without being in their meetings. They have employee listings and sometimes playing detective with their work history will give you indicators of what might happen.

Thanks Kyndall!

I saw their website and noticed they mentioned they were operators as well. The thing that seems unusual to me though is that I am not seeing any wells operated by them and they have been apparently leasing for years! Here is what I mean by example: thus my thinking that they must be leasing out to either flip or for another company.

Hi! We are leased with Stevens & Tull on tracts in Dawson County, SW/4 of Section 16, Block 36 T4N. SM Energy is the operator and they have permits going through our tracts and we expect division orders in the next couple of months. We were leased quite a few years with Stevens & Tull before activity happened. We are excited to see things happening in Dawson County!

1 Like

@amwood

Very nice! Thanks for the information as that is definitely good news! It may be of interest to you that SM Energy will be having their 3rd Quarter conference call on October 30th and the following Q&A Discussion on November 1st. They stated last quarter they would be able to share their current progress on Dawson county at that time. So hopefully the quarterly report and the Q&A will have some good meat on the bone for us in south Dawson.

1 Like

You all may be interested in this headline in Hart Energy today. Article is behind a paywall.

Big wells Dawson County

1 Like

Thanks Wade! Great info!