OK address change for oil interest

I intend to file An Okla Small Claims Lawsuit for the max $10,000 unless an Atty takes on & involves nothing more than a payee address chg that won’t get proceeded. Payor wants the addr chg doc recorded! Haha Go figure. But I’ve warned them.

1 Like

Not sure what your situation is so will answer generically.

Operators regularly want any change of address recorded in the county courthouse where the minerals are located. Also copies of any deeds or title documents. That is the legal repository for the state. Then you inform the operator’s Division Order department of the change of address-send a certified letter return receipt with a copy of your address change. Can normally take several months to get all the parts correctly done. Are you sure you want to spend attorney fees to accomplish a simple thing?

I worked 41 yrs as a D/O Analyst never heard of an addr chg doc being recorded but why wudnt they place notary block on the doc a recorded doc must be notarized? Addr chgs are never notarized.

2 Likes

Not sure which county you are talking about. Don’t think the address change has to be notarized, but the rules might have changed by county. We have always done it with a notary signature just to make sure. The recorder of deeds can answer that question.

If you are talking about a particular operator, then ask their division order department why they need it notarized. Cheaper to do what they want and file at the county for a few dollars than go through a lawsuit.

As you know, the DO analyst just wants to make sure that they are paying the right mineral owners the right amount of money. Some operators are very picky about what information they require.

Another interesting requirement is payor will ONLY chg the addr to an addr matching a secondary identification doc which must b provided with the chg of addr doc fully recorded. So a rich payee wanting checks to go c/o his accountant offices addr isn’t possible or an elderly payee who wants a daughter handling her checks/ affairs isnt possible! I’m fighting that requirement also. Payee can insert any new addr they want. A secondary ID card I don’t a have a problem providing but the matching addr requirement is insane too! I am fighting myself I need no atty I’ve already beaten AT&T & UPS this year a small fry oper shud b a slam dunk.

1 Like

While I don’t agree with recording addr chgs docs under any circumstances at least in Tex Okla NM La, a co who DOES want recorded makes their case way better with payee by placing the notary blk info at the btm of their addr chg forms. I believe not having the notary showing the recording requirement is not enforceable - payee can’t be expected to add the notary info. So chances of forcing recording is tougher with no notary block on the form. Randomly discussing the recordings for addr chgs with all my D/O friends today in Tex & Okla nobody has ever heard of requiring that. Getting conveyances & estate docs recorded in ea affected county is tough enough I can’t even imagine wanting recordings of all addr chgs in ever county wells are owned. I’ve processed thousands of addr chgs in my career. I was processing 20 name/addr chgs daily the last 6 months of my career cleaning up suspense & contacting payees at new addresses I found! I released 1/2 of all suspense $ in 2 yrs.

1 Like

The county clerk will not accept a notice of change of address for filing unless it is notarized and the appropriate fee is provided.

This post is not legal, tax or investment advice. Reading or responding to this post does not create an attorney/client relationship.

1 Like

The purpose of the notary is to verify that the person whose signature is on the document is actually that person. If there is no verification, I could claim to be you and send in a change of address and start receiving your checks. I’m sure you don’t want that to happen to you.

1 Like

John, you may be dealing part of our new era of Owner Relations Contractors. You have a unique situation that I have not seen in 40+ years as a mineral owner and landman. First Winblad nails it, any document filed by you has to be notarized to be accepted by the County Clerk’s Office. I have advised clients in the past to file an Affidavit of Address in cases that it is beneficial to client. With all this said, was there anything that differentiated this address change request on your part other than just the address?