What are the most common oil & gas scams targeting seniors?

I wanted to bring your attention to a significant legal case currently in the spotlight: Lee Perry v. Rockcliff Energy Operating LLC, Southwest Petroleum, & Denton Creek (Case No. 4:24-cv-01053). This case highlights serious allegations of counterfeit, fraud, and forgery targeting senior citizens in the oil and gas sector.

Why This Matters

Royalty interests in oil and gas can be a vital source of income for retirees, making them attractive targets for scammers. The ongoing case serves as a crucial reminder of the vulnerabilities within this industry.

As this case unfolds, it’s essential for all of us to stay vigilant and informed. Together, we can help protect our community, especially our senior citizens, from financial corruption.

Stay tuned for further updates!

2 Likes

Are you able to provide some insight as to the case details. Thank you

In a nutshell, somebody didn’t read or understand what they read before they signed a document. Texas law is very clear on this type of document.

It looks like the plaintiff is prosecuting this case without the assistance of an attorney. That is always a bad idea especially in federal court where the rules and procedures can clobber you. I read the amended petition and could not really follow how the scam supposedly unfolded.

This post is not legal, tax or investment advice. Reading or responding to this post does not create an attorney/client relationship.

1 Like

The Seminar hosted by Lee Perry on November 16, 2024, titled “Oil and Gas: Houston- Eventbrite.” This event will explore into scams related to mineral rights and explore the many ways individuals can be cheated out of their money—over 145 different scams. This seminar promises to provide valuable insights and practical strategies to help protect your finances. Mr. Perry encourages everyone to attend and spread the word, especially among senior citizens, who may be particularly vulnerable to these scams. As this case continues to unfold, I will keep everyone posted with updates.

Let me see. I’m going to make an assumption. If Mr. Perry is representing himself in a lawsuit pro se in a federal court case, I’m guessing he didn’t bother seeking legal counsel before entering into an agreement.

Not totally foolproof, but the best way to avoid getting scammed is to secure experienced oil & gas legal counsel in the state where the minerals/royalties are located.

2 Likes