What mineral interests do i own

I inherited mineral rights from my mother and the executor did not inform us correctly about them. I have been trying to piece things together. I do know I own something in Panola and something in Caddo Parish (TX and LA). It is unclear to me what exactly I own. I receive checks from three different companies, and statements from another that claim they owe me nothing because my mother was an “unnamed?” owner. I occasionally get calls or letters from companies who want to purchase our rights (I share the inherited rights my mom had split three ways with my siblings). I am also suspicious that I might have other mineral rights I haven’t yet heard about. I have many questions:

1. how do I figure out what I inherited, in total?
  2. how do I know what I should be earning from them?
  3. how do I figure out what I’m owed from the past operations when my mother had rights but was unnamed or un contracted because of lack of registration of herself as an owner
  4. if my mother never registered as an owner when she inherited mineral property herself, is there any way for me to track that down as a 1/3 inheritor of her estate? Thank you in advance.

If you know the name of the wells, you can search the Panola county clerks website to see if a unit declaration was filed . The unit declaration should list the O&g leases pooled to the unit. The leases will give a legal description and deed reference to start researching how your mother came into the chain of title. You can search Texas RRC for the drilling permit plat and P12 for tracts pooled. Checking the county appraisal records will sometimes give a chain of title of the property. I’ve never researched Caddo, but a similar method should work.

1 Like

Ask the current operators Division Order department for the net acres and description that they are carrying for you. Have the check and owner number ready. Also ask them for a copy of the lease that is responsible for the royalties. It will have the royalty and the terms under which you are held. I make a list by state, county, description.

Be aware that in Louisiana, you have to claim your mineral rights every 10 years if they are not producing, so you do need to see if there are any other minerals in your mom’s name. That may require a landman to help you find them.

Start with the paying items first and then build upon your knowledge.

Check the unclaimed funds in the state where your mother resided and also Delaware.

Ask the operator that says your mother is unnamed how to correct the situation

I believe you are incorrect as to LA minerals which are referred to as servitude. The servitude period is a maximum of 10 years unless interrupted. Drilling and production are considered interruptions. After each interruption period, the servitude period resets to the maximum of 10 years unless other conditions are stated in the grant. LA mineral law as it relates to servitude is unique and complex. So there is no “claiming period” as is present in some other States.

Thank you for the correct term. Louisiana has Napoleonic law, so the language is sometimes different than the other states.